Thursday, November 4, 2010

Motivation to Learn...What can children teach themselves?

I attended an informal staff meeting today after school.  The topic was rigor in these changing times in education.  I went in thinking about what I knew about rigor, what I was making for dinner, if my son would have his homework done, and if I could get one more post in on my new blog.  I left the meeting with my eyes opened my mind brimming with these ideas of change that I have to implement for my students.  During the meeting we watched a TED talk, which I must say is becoming one of my favorite places to visit to be inspired (motivated) in this difficult profession.  In the clip Sugata Mitra talks of his "Hole In The Wall" project he has been leading where students teach themselves without instruction or education how to use a computer and teach others how to do it.  This leads to the question, "What else can students teach themselves?"  This really makes me think about shifting focus from the typical lecture approach in content areas to exploration and self teaching in the content areas.  One thing that Sugata Mitra states sticks out to me relating to motivation, "Children will learn to do what they want to learn to do."  This is so true.  You will be inspired and wanting to tackle your content areas in new ways after viewing this video.  PLEASE take 17 minutes to change your way of thinking.  Sugata Mitra on The Child Driven Education

No comments:

Post a Comment