Thursday, November 4, 2010

Science! It does not have to be so hard!

I think science is the hardest area for me to teach.  I did not understand much of the textbook that I was given to teach from when I first got it.  I was going back often to reread and study ahead for the content I was teaching.  I remember in my first year of teaching, my husband and I had a daily running joke our house..."Honey, do you have your science homework done yet?"  I was studying more than the kids to get the material understood well enough to teach it to students.  This really got me thinking about the skills that I had to be able to give students so that they may be a bit more successful.  Success in content areas will lead to motivation.  There was a supplement to a book that I read early on that got me started with what skills I needed to be able to give my students in order to read and understand the textbook.  Teaching Reading in Science is a free supplement that you can access to give you more schema on how to teach your students valuable skills to be successful in reading their science textbook.  To me, these skills are first and foremost to teaching the material.  If students do not have the tools to succeed, then they often will not.  Start here to guide your teaching in this critical area of instruction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment